Saturday 19 April 2014

Enactus UK Nationals 2014!

As Enactus members will know, the Enactus UK National Competition was held in London for 2 days at the beginning of the week. The 53 teams competing came to showcase the work their members had done over the year and the projects that had changed lives in the UK and around the world. Observers saw all sorts of inspirational projects…. from Surrey helping disadvantaged school children to Exeter using mushrooms to change lives in Uganda, and Southampton tackling sanitary needs to tyre recycling with Royal Holloway… there was no doubt that every single person came away inspired.

This year also enabled the different teams to showcase their projects and products at a fair on the second day. Enactus BPP (who won most improved team in their region with a transfixing presentation about breaking the cycle of FGM) went coconut crazy at their project stall, and Sheffield asked people to try out the lipbalm, body butter and body scrub, which are part of the Hope Cosmetics Range.



After progressing through the leagues, 5 teams ended up in the final: Southampton, Imperial, Leeds, Sheffield and Durham. The standard of the projects presented was incredibly high, with amazing projects presented. One which stood out was the use of Vetiver Grass to prevent landslides in Africa, which was an ingenious solution devised by Enactus Durham. Sheffield then took to the stage for the last time to show the years highlights; focusing on the HomeMade project, which works with homeless men, and the Hope project, which helps victims of domestic and sexual abuse, and human trafficking. This year we expanded both these projects to employ the beneficiaries that needed us most, by setting up Re:Made and Hope Cosmetics. We were completely unprepared for what would follow…





“Nationals is a really humbling reminder that there is so much more to Enactus than just your project or team…” (Says Jonny, the youngest member of the Presentation Team this year…) “But even more so inspiring is the realisation that thousands of others across the entire length of the country share the same passion to help change lives and empower those who need it. My standout memory of Nationals was on the Tuesday morning, just before Semi Finals. We were running through the presentation, squashed together in our advisor's hotel room, when I had the sudden realisation of how far I had come since October, how many opportunities I had taken and how many incredible people I'd met, all from attending that introduction meeting in freshers week. I can't even imagine how different my time in Sheffield would be had I not joined.”





“Over the last few weeks I have got to know some incredible, hard working and inspiring individuals. I am so grateful to have been a part of what was the most amazing experience at my time in university so far. To be given the opportunity to be on the presentation team is something I will always be grateful for, to be able to represent every member and beneficiary we have worked with. I will never forget being on that final round stage with all our team members, trophy in the air and doing a “hands-in” for Sheffield. Safe to say I was an emotional wreck for quite a while afterwards. I just want to say a massive thank you to every single member for welcoming me and supporting me throughout the last few weeks, I am so happy to be a part of it.” – Emily, a mentor in the HOPE project






The 2014 Nationals was the second time HomeMade director, James, presented on stage:  To represent 169 Enactus Sheffield members, and to tell the amazing success stories of the hundreds of beneficiaries we work with has made me so proud to a part of such an amazing organisation. To have followed the journey that every single project has travelled this year is amazing, seeing the 30,000 hours every members has put in and the amazing things that have been achieved is such an inspiring and moving thing to have experienced. Nothing has and nothing will (for a long time) compare with the amount of pride I feel right now, and there is nothing I would rather do than share that with the amazing team we have developed this year under the incredible and inspiring leadership by Caroline.”




For many observers, Nationals was a brand new experience. After securing a position as a project leader for next year, Sarah was invited to observe: "As an observer that is very new to the team, I just wanted to say that I was incredibly inspired by the dedication, enthusiasm and passion each and every team member showed throughout the competition; it was a privilege to be part of the team and to be representing Enactus Sheffield in our blue dresses. The commitment, drive and emotional investment in Enactus is highly infectious! I just wanted to say thank you to the team for giving me an opportunity to be part of the amazing work you have started and for inviting me to Nationals. I am so excited to see what the next year has in store for Enactus!"

“The experience at Nationals was fabulous.” Continues Marika, (also new to the Nationals experience)  “…As I was totally new to observation I was a little apprehensive but excited as to what to expect, however I am glad I got the chance to be there for my team and support them. Enactus gives an opportunity for students to act and do something to create a better greatness in the world.”


 “Being part of Enactus Sheffield for the past 3 years of my life was the best and wisest decision I had ever made in my life.” (Says Anusha after her THIRD Nationals)To my HOPE team of the past 2 years, I would not have stepped up to take on any other role other than HOPE Local Director. In the past 2 years we have had a total of 100 mentors and impacted the lives of over 102 survivors of Human Trafficking, Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse. I am so proud of each and every one of you! Nothing would have been possible if it wasn't for our mentors, project leaders and the commercial team (; On behalf of Enactus Sheffield, the women, our project partners and myself, I just want to say THANK YOU!

By being this year's National Champions, it just means we can expand our projects even more with the generous investments which will be coming our way soon! More women, more men, more beneficiaries, more villages and communities around the world will benefit from our projects and I just can't wait to see it in motion. 

It was a pleasure Enactus Sheffield.”


 Rob, the director of Hope Cosmetics, feels that… For me personally, I've never been prouder than that moment when I heard the infamous words 'Enactus Sheffield you may now begin your presentation'. Having the opportunity to represent every single member and every beneficiary on that stage and deliver it with passion (and considerable volume) was one of the most incredible moments of my life. Looking out and seeing a standing ovation from the crowd is a sight I'll never forget and I feel so lucky to have had that opportunity.”

A special mention must go to Caroline Turner, who is an exceptional and inspirational leader - without all of her effort, integrity and drive Enactus Sheffield would not be where we are today. The exec team know no other person who is more deserving of the respect and admiration that I and the rest of the team have for her!


Finally, I’d like to end this post with a great big thank you! We're incredibly honoured to be bringing the national champion trophy to Sheffield! We want to say a massive thank you to Enactus UK, our university advisors, our alumni, our incredible members and most of all our inspiring beneficiaries. We look forward to representing the UK and showing our projects at the World Cup in Beijing this October!



1 comment:

  1. that have amazing Enactus Sheffield is a student run entrepreneurial company and so much appreciate Enactus UK Nationals 2014.

    Student accommodation in Sheffield | Cheap Student accommodation Sheffield

    ReplyDelete